Research is an important part of medicine, allowing us to objectively determine the effectiveness of the treatments we recommend to our patients. As a result, the VOA Research Foundation was formed in 2004 as a nonprofit organization.
The mission and goal of the VOA Research Foundation is to inform and educate physicians and patients about advanced treatment options for arthritis of the hip and knee.
The VOA Research Foundation evaluates emerging techniques and technology relating to joint replacement surgery. With our proximity to Valley Orthopedic Associates, we are able to study the outcomes of total hip and knee replacement with regard to long-term pain relief and function. Ongoing clinical studies include: Comparison of Anterior vs Posterior approach for total hip replacement (THA), Use of Alternative bearing surfaces and variable head sizes in THA, Use of custom cutting guides for total knee replacement (TKA) and use of computer assisted techniques for TKA.
As part of our educational mission, we provide an annual scholarship to Renton High School students interested in pursuing studies related to health care. The Foundation also sponsors educational forums to further the knowledge base of both orthopedic and primary care practitioners about advances in orthopedic care.
Our research activities have resulted in several scientific papers/poster presented at national orthopedic meetings:
- Paper – Large Diameter Modular Metal-On-Metal Total Hip Arthroplasy: Analysis Of Failures, Western Orthopedic Association, August 2010, California
- Publication – “Early to Mid-Term Survivorship of a Cementless, Modular, Multi-Liner Acetabular Cup System” , Orthopedics - 2009
- Presentation – Patient and Surgical Factors Associated With Infection After Total Knee Arthroplasty”, American Association of Orthopaedic Surgeons, March 2008, California
- Presentation – “Large Femoral Heads Reduce Dislocations In THA”, American Association of Orthopaedic Surgeons, March 2008, California
- Poster – “Midterm Survival of the Pinnacle Multi-Liner Acetabular Cup in a Prospective Multi-Center Study” , American Association of Orthopaedic Surgeons , March 2008, California
- Poster – “Hypersensitivity in Metal on Metal THA”, Western Orthopedic Association, July 2007, California
- Poster – “Survival Analysis of a Contemporary Modular Total Knee Replacement: A Large Multi-center 9-year Study”, American Association of Orthopaedic Surgeons, Feb 2007, California
- Presentation – “Computer Assisted Surgery Improved Alignment in TKA”. Computer Assisted Orthopaedic Surgery 6th Annual International Meeting, June 2006, Montreal Canada
- Poster – “Activity Assessment in Active Patients Undergoing THA Recommendation vs. Reality”, Western Orthopedic Association, Sept 2004, California
The VOA Research Foundation is located at Valley Orthopedic Associates on the Valley Medical Center campus in Renton, Washington.
VOA Research Foundation Hip Replacement Studies
VOA Research Foundation Knee Replacement Studies
Contacting the Foundation:
For more information about the VOA Research Foundation or to make a contribution, call 425-656-5060 ext. 3063.